Match report: Sandown and Shanklin RFC 1XV 52-0 Fareham Heathens RFC 1XV, 15 December 2018


Hurricanes Provide Christmas Treat in Miserable Weather Conditions

Sandown & Shanklin completed 2018 with an impressive 52 – 0 victory over Fareham Heathens.

Sandown & Shanklinwelcomed Fareham Heathens to the Fairway for the last competitive fixture of 2018. However, filthy weather conditions meant that it would be a cold and long afternoon for both teams, as well a difficult to play any fast or free flowing rugby. Before the game, the club enterained VP members, guests and also Shanklin Rotary Club. They attended to present the Club with a substantial cheque to enable us to complete our much needed garage and compound area, for storage of equipment and to secure our floodlight controls. #This is part of the generous community support they give but reflects on our ongoing support of their Annual Sale rotary run in Shanklin. And we will be again helping out with the Shanklin Rotary sale by delivering furniture Monday to Friday from 14th to 25th January.

 The Hurricanes started the game and playing down the hill, had the opportunity to immediately apply pressure, with the visitors finding it difficult to clear their lines against the wind and rain. The first score of the game came from centre Sam Tyson. After the Hurricanes forwards provided a solid platform, fly-half Cam Mitchell fed Tyson who stepped past a defender to score under the posts. Flux converted, 7 -0. Sandown & Shanklin increased the pressure on the visitors, after winning a succession of penalties, the home side were soon on the Heathens 5 metre line and bearing in on their second score. After a series of strong scrums were held up by the Heathens, Rees broke form the base and was held short of the try line. Then young prop BenShannon drove over the line and scored the Hurricanes try of the game. Flux converted the try with a tricky conversion in the conditions, 14 – 0. With the momentum in their favour, the home side pushed on for their third score of the game, which came through centre Jack Wedderkop, who broke the defensive line and evaded two tackles to dot down under the posts, converted by Flux, 21 – 0. Sandown & Shanklin looked to secure the result and the try bonus point before the half-time break, and they got their fourth try through man of the match Zak Chiverton. Chiverton was put through a gap in the Fareham defence by Tyson, which then allowed the Sandown hooker to scoot home. With the try converted, the hosts went into the break, and into the changing rooms for refuge from the conditions, with a 28 – 0 lead.

 Both teams emerged from the changing rooms at the break, but the conditions were not letting up and with the rain coming down harder, there was a clear layer of water across the pitch making playing conditions even more difficult. Chiverton got the scoring in the second half underway with his second try of the game. After breaking off the back of an impressive maul, Chiverton stepped around the Heathens defender to dot down. Fluxmissed his first conversion of the game, from a tight angle, 33 – 0.

With the home side playing the territorial game better than their rivals, they could put the pressure on the Heathens in their half and then capitalise on their mistakes. This meant that the Hurricanes could use their strong maul to gain important headway. A few phases later, the ball found its way to captain Sam Flux, who went on a mazy run from outside theHeathens 22 to sprint in for his first try of the season. From a similar angle of the previous conversion, Flux narrowly missed again,but had extended the winning margin to the 40 point barrier.

From the restart, Fluxclaimed the ball within the Sandown 22, and made a break into the Heathens half before being brought down 40 metres further up the field. As quick ball was generated, half-backs Jacob Jordan and Cameron Mitchell quickly spread the ball to Chiverton, who again found a gap in the defence and went in for his third try and the Hurricanes 7th try of the game. Flux converted, and the score heading into the last ten minutes was 45 – 0.

Director of Rugby, Damien Marriott, shared his thoughts on the game:

 “That was a great way to end 2018. It definitely was not the weather for a good game,but it was the performance wise really wanted, entertaining the VP’sand guests of the Club. We especially wanted to come out all gunsfiring after last weeks performance, and we did just that. The way we moved the ball in horrendous weather just shows how good this young side really is, it’s just a shame we don’t play again now until January.”

This match report and images from the game will appear in the Winter 2018 edition of the Isle of Wight Rugby Magazine.

Related links

Sandown and Shanklin RFC

Fareham Heathens RFC

Isle of Wight Rugby Magazine